Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Social Networking Sites = More Work for Me! Am I a Luddite?


I posted this note in both the SPM Discussion eGroup (900 members) and the WebCommunities eGroup (350) members. Lots of interesting responses; you can search the archives to find them without being a member.

    Subject: market/ social software = more work for me

    Although I am a big fan of social software in general, I've come to the conclusion that the existing social networking sites/tools (at least the ones I signed up for earlier this year) are simply a way for people I hardly know (or don't know) to ask me to do stuff that I don't want to do (e.g. update their address book) or introduce them to someone else who I hardly know (or don't know) regarding a subject or purpose in which I have no interest, knowledge, or is not even revealed to me.

    I admit I have put no effort into my profiles on these sites...after signing up for site number 4 or 5 the whole thing just got to be too much trouble.

    Am I a Luddite?

Elisa Camahort was among the many who wrote perceptive comments.
    "Networking is much easier for the extroverts among us, and these social networking sites give a false hope to introverts that they can achieve the benefits of networking without really have to interact with people on an individual basis."

And no, I did NOT make my post just for the joy of using the word Luddite.

Cynthia

No comments: